Friday, October 22, 2010

The Shame of Living with Chronic Pain and Finding the Freedom to Live



What is Chronic Pain?
If you experience chronic pain, you need no explanation for what it is, what if feels like or how debilitating it can be. You do not need to read how it affects your ability to work, to sleep, to have a social life, or to have freedom. You certainly don’t need to read about how shameful it can feel to have to explain to family, lovers, friends and strangers how you can’t participate in certain activities because your life hurts-literally.
If you don’t live with chronic pain, it may be easy to think there are so many options to treat pain that there is no real reason to live with pain. But not all pain can be treated by medicine, pain treatment medications, chiropractic treatments, alternative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, yoga, meditation or even prayer. Chronic pain by its nature is pervasive and insidious despite all attempts to reduce or eliminate it. The sufferer has to find a way of living with the pain and finding a way of having some kind of meaningful life despite of it. This is a huge challenge that I can poignantly testify to.
Chronic pain is pain that just does not go away. The pain varies in intensity and even location. Sometimes the pain can be emotional and equally if not more severe than physical pain. It is distinct from acute, short-term pain. It often interferes with quality of life in very important ways as stated above. It is also interconnected in many ways. One area of your life spills over into another. For example, the pain causes sleep loss which lowers your immune system which can lead to other compound illnesses.
The cause of chronic pain can be:
* A diagnosed illness or disease.
* An undiagnosed illness or disease.
* An injury or accident including victim of child abuse and domestic violence.
* Repetitive motion injury.
* Exposure to poor ergonomics and working conditions.
* Exposure to chemicals, toxins or pervasive poor nutrition.
* A combination of psychological, emotional and spiritual causes.
* And sometimes simply for unknown reasons.
No one would guess that I suffer from chronic pain. I smile as much as I can, I watch my posture when I can, I force myself out into the world and do what I call “acting happy” to get through most of my days. I don’t want to worry those around me or make them uncomfortable. I seem agile and fit. I do exercise and take as good care of myself as I can. But I am in constant pain and excruciating nonetheless.
Anyone who gets close enough to me will know that I sometimes have to miss certain events, or activities and they will wonder why. Or when I am somewhere I may not be my normal and jovial self. At some point, I choose to disclose to certain persons I do have debilitating chronic pain. Not an easy admission for the go-getter I have always been. But I had to find a way to transform the shame I felt about being in pain into constructive and positive action. I don’t have a definitive answer to eliminate or even reduce pain, but I have ways which I choose to cope, adjust and live despite of it.
What CAN be done about chronic pain?
I always try to combine the right and left brain on things. Use common sense and should you be fortunate enough to have medical insurance, seek a professional doctor’s opinion, a second opinion or even third if you have to. It’s your body and your pain. If you don’t have traditional insurance, seek clinics or medical centers which are free or sliding scale. They are out there and you deserve help for your pain. Do lots of research, there is plenty of information that can provide you comfort. Below are some of the things I have discovered help--see if they work for you.
Unconventional things that help with chronic pain:
* Continue to LIVE despite your pain. May people with chronic pain consider suicide because they feel life is unbearable. But you can have a life of quality and happiness. You are here for a reason, trust in that.
* Laugh as often as you can, it is truly a miracle pain reducer.
* Try treatments like medication in moderation and with supervision. You deserve better than to let your chronic pain make you dependent on a substance that will only make things worse in the long-term.
* Explore reputable alternative treatments with care and research.
* Give yourself love-once you love yourself, acceptance comes next. With that a wordless freedom ensues.
* Find a support system-you are not alone. Even if it feels like you are, you are not. Even if you are home-bound, or don’t have immediate family or friends, there are sources that can come to you via books, magazine, websites, organizations, spiritual groups, and volunteers that can provide you the solace you seek.
* Get an animal companion-this is one of the BEST things you can do for yourself and for a loving animal. It is documented that companion animals provide unconditional love, support and healing for those with chronic pain. I can most fervently attest to this.
* Continue to find the source. It may not stop the pain, but can provide insight and wisdom as to the big picture, non-judgmental reason you are experiencing this challenge.
* Use items or products specifically made for those in pain (like easy open jars, motion sensitive soap dispensers, etc.
* Be proud of who you are no matter what.
There is no shame in pain, but shame can be a pain….like I said laugh, even at the silly and absurd.
For more information about Working Things Out check: http://www.workingthingsout.com/Home_1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Repel Negativiy #shorts