Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What I Learned and YOU Should Know From My "Failed" Crowdfunding Indiegogo Campaign


NOTE: Below are This is Diana Website and Radio links, click visit and follow...

It took me a couple of years to launch my Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign. I originally created a campaign in to of the main sites, Kickstarter and Indiegogo.  I wanted to be clear of what I wanted to achieve. I wanted to do an album with beautiful heartbreak love songs people love to hear, followed by a live show performing the songs. I did a lot of research on the songs I wanted, musicians, format, and rewards that I would offer my contributors for their support. I would also give 10% to a after hours New York City animal rescue fund. My campaign didn't pass the 1% of the needed funds.

My campaign was a failure. Or was it?

What Went Wrong?
Crowdfunding is the funding of now and the future where one can launch a creative, business, or non profit, project campaign by promoting to the public. The public would in turn get "perks" in return for their contributions.

Very close to the end of my campaign (you have 45 days to fulfill your financial goals). I did a lot of research on Indiegogo and other crowdfunding sites. As I already suspected and from what I saw it is very competitive. What I didn't expect is that you really have to have a PR person or huge team to move your campaign forward. I had neither. 

That's not what the original plan was. The original plan as I understood it, was that everyone with a really good project could get access to funding via these sites along with the project creator's effort of course. Since I didn't have a huge PR/Marketing firm I turned to my own network. My network has been created due to years of cultivating relationships of various kinds, doing consultations, being in entertainment, airing broadcasts, and on-going networking events. I turned to those and personal friends and family but oddly got very little response. I was becoming heart broken. 

However, the more I researched, the more I learned that much of the funding actually comes from contributors unknown to the project creator. You see the concept though relatively simple is still new to most people. It is hard to explain by an email invitation or post. So that was a relief of sorts. For that to happen any person creating a campaign must reach 20% of their goal. The more you ask for, the more challenging it is to reach that. Hence no promotion or exposure by the crowdfunding site almost insures one will not be successful in their goal.

What Went Right?


Learning and understanding that the crowdfunding process isn't a reflection of the quality of the project or lack of support from family and friends. The success of a campaign is really political and financial. Many phony, silly, even ridiculous campaigns have raised six figures or more, just check here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/is-crowdfunding-for-everyone-the-successes-failures/.

But nevertheless, it is hard not to take it personally when friends and family won't give as little as a dollar for a campaign they will receive something for. I however understand many didn't really read the posts, promotions and announcement. I also know many have supported me in many other ways, like coming to my events. So I thank sincerely and wholeheartedly thank them for that. Some reached out to me and told me their financial challenges and again, I am grateful they took the time to do that and it wasn't a reflection of the project's quality. 

I did get support however from several people who will get ongoing credit and perks from me because of this. Not for this campaign per se since it did not go through but other ways, as publicity from my broadcasts, public speaking, future music shows, personal referrals and references and more. There were those who almost facetiously sent me a note saying "good luck" and did not go unnoticed. 

What to Know for Your Campaign

  • Worthiness--Launch your project if you really believe in it, no matter what. Follow the instructions and do your research and don't get caught up on its success of failure. At least you had the courage to put your dreams out there. And what you will learn from the process will be invaluable. As I said above there are really silly ideas and projects that get full funding. However, many are valuable in one way or another. Make sure you emphasize how so. 


  • Do research with key words on failed projects. It's important to know what NOT to do. If you just follow what to do, you will not know what to avoid and what you should do instead.
  • Try to explain as much as you can to a few close people, discern whether they are truly interested in your project's success. This is just human nature. If you have tons of people all trying to do the same thing, the thought of competitive scarcity may lead people to not support you because they want to do the same thing. Explain your success is their success. It doesn't have to be a competition at all but a collaboration. 


  • Pre-screen your supporters- Do a trial email, calls, posts to see how many people seem interested in your idea. Ask to to commit so supporting you one way or another. Even having them post, forward and share for you is very valuable. It surprising how many people will NOT press the little share button. It makes you wonder...


  • Perks--The idea is for you to give perks, rewards and such to those who contribute. Explain people are not just giving you money. They are paying for something valuable. I was willing to give a full song download for as little as a $1 contribution, along with mentions.


  • If you are fortunate enough to have a marketing team/PR team, utilize it fully. Even if you don't use whatever network you do have, neighbors, co-workers (if at a traditional job), friends, family, and of course social media). It seems like common sense but it is unbelievable how many people don't use the resources they have. Use what you've got baby!


  • Each crowdfuding site had its own criteria for helping you promote. Find out what it is. As I said, for me and Indiegogo it was to reach at least 20% of the total goal then you get featured and tada!! You get promoted and much funding from that alone. So the amount you choose originally for your project matters. It is much harder to get 20% of $35,000 than it is for $350.

My Lesson
Failure and success are relative terms. And believe me I've been on the failure rodeo plenty of times. I was very reluctant to launch my campaign. I was fearful it would not go through. Guess what, it didn't go through and I survived! Oh but I learned so much. 

For instance: 
-How the process continues to evolve. Crowdfunding is here to stay in some way, form or another. 
-How people in your life close are a far affect your goals and dreams--to the extent that you allow them. 
-What really matters to me. 
-How to accept failure and find the silver lining. And be creative to find something that is useful in the process. 
-That just because many did not support this project, doesn't mean I take it personally. I can absolutely tell who didn't quite understand what this process is, who is struggling financially, and who don't actually care to participate in what I do (and that is totally okay too). 
-To continue to do what I believe in for the ultimate higher good.

My advice: Stay strong with your project no matter what. There are always other ways to do it, move it forward, create it etc. Just keep loving what you do, learning and trusting your intuition at all levels and always. 

Do email me with any questions or comments and best of luck on your goals!

Infinite thanks to Sponsors of This Is Diana via the Indiegogo Campaign

Those who did contribute, listed below, have made it possible to continue my This Is Diana radio broadcasts on Blog Talk Radio, help with admin costs related to website, blog, events and most importantly the challenges that come with being an artists. 
~Barbara Stettner
~Luisa Poster
~Felicia Glucksman
~David Vernon
~Rick Bogart
~George and Francine Aline
~Dana Humprey-Whitegate PR
And a few Anonymous donors

A special thanks to ~Sady Manoel, M.D. for contributing directly to This is Diana

Diana Navarro, M.S.
On a Quest to Bring Manners Back!
www.Thisisdiana.com
Psychic--Empath with a Psychology background, Radio and Video Broadcast Producer/Host, Social Commentator/Speaker on Manners, Entertainer, Consultant and features topics on Lifestyle/Manners, Humor, Entertainment, Health, The Paranormal and Causes.
Radio Show Address: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/this-is-diana
Radio Listener dial-in number: (347) 857-3160





No comments:

Post a Comment

Repel Negativiy #shorts