Sunday, July 11, 2010

Should You Get THAT Checked



Approximately two years ago I noticed a spot on my left calf. It bothered me because it didn’t “feel” or look right. I had my primary physician look at it during my yearly check-up but he wasn’t worried about it. As the months passed I did note that my mark, this excrescence, was getting larger and changing in shape. I finally scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist. She didn’t like the way it looked so I agreed to do a biopsy.

For three weeks I worried about the possibility this growth could be cancerous. Were my things in order? Was my Advanced Directive and Will updated? Was I living the life I wanted to live? Well the time came for me to get my biopsy results and I sat in the waiting room for nearly an hour with no word. I was asked several times if I was OK and offered water which was unusual for a follow-up medical exam. I got really nervous.

A few minutes later, I was finally called by my doctor and she asked if I was ready for the procedure to have the growth removed? “What?” I asked. “Does that mean it’s CANC--?”
She cut me off and told me, “Breathe. It is a benign growth, not cancer.” I was immediately relieved. However, the pathologist recommended the growth be completely removed as soon as possible, just to be sure. This growth which is technically called a dermatomyofibroma was unusually large and in an odd location of my body.

Apparently, this kind of growth would appear on a person’s upper body. I agreed I wanted it to be removed. This was on March 26th of this year. And I realized no matter how uncomfortable it is to have things checked by doctors sometimes, it is necessary to save one’s life at most and have peace of mind at least. A complete excision of the growth was done and I am recovering from the minor procedure. The only temporary set back was having stitches, minor discomfort and orders to modify my exercise for a couple of weeks. This is when having a trainer really comes in handy. So while I’m healing I’m working out my upper body, doing push-ups, and yoga. Once I’m back to normal I will resume my combination of full body strength training, cardio and yoga.

So do you have something you need checked out? A strange pain somewhere, an itch, an odd mark somewhere in your body, even if you don’t get much sun exposure? Do you have an ongoing cough, or headache that won’t go away? Or do you have a nagging feeling something may not be right in your body or mind like depression, or anxiety? Trust yourself and get it checked, especially if you are fortunate enough to have insurance. I know it’s not fun to get a colonoscopy, GYN exam, mammography, see a proctologist, or even getting a regular physical but the peace of mind and treatment possibilities may be worth it.

I have included some links for anything related to skin cancer should you want to check some information. Also, WebMD.com is very popular for checking many kinds symptoms and conditions. But most importantly, breathe and know you always have options. I’m not sure what I would be saying if my results were different, but I do know that the five years of quality time I got with my mother after her cancer diagnosis and treatment were cherished beyond words.

www.skincancer.org
www.skincarephysicians.com
www.webmd.com
www.preventcancer.org
www.cancercare.org

Here is some more information on general skin care. In addition to using sunscreen to prevent sun damage, there are other steps to take on order to minimize sun damage.

1. Keep skin hydrated, both inside and out by drinking plenty of liquids (preferably water) and using proper skin moisturizers.
2. Before heading out into the anywhere where you will have sun exposure, apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before. Also since sunscreen does not fully protect, consider carrying light layers of clothing to cover any vulnerable exposed skin.
3. If you want a glow, try self-tanners that are made for a variety of skin types.
4. Check any odd spots and remember that no matter what your skin color is, everyone is prone to getting sun damage. Additionally, other factors other than sun exposure can lead to skin growths, so check everywhere in your body (between toes, underarms, etc.), it’s better to be safe.

There is one more link for you to check www.skincancertakesfriends.org for information on how Olay had teamed up with the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery to sponsor free screenings with a dermatologic surgeon for a friend and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Repel Negativiy #shorts